Wadham Lodge FC vs Hertford Town

Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Blues suffer Vase disappointment
FA Vase 1st Round
Sunday 23rd October 2016
Wadham Lodge 2(1) Hertford Town 1(1)
(Summers 25’)

Following on from Tuesday’s disappointing draw at Edgware Town, the Blues suffered another performance where they were unable to turn their pressure into goals. Having taken a 25th minute lead that should have provided them with the platform to go on and progress to the next round, they then lost concentration, conceded an immediate equaliser and never really recovered.

They dominated the game to such an extent that the home side were restricted to only two shots throughout the entire game but, typical of the way things have gone for the Blues recently, both resulted in goals and the Blues were unable to respond.

A soft 53rd minute goal, totally against the run of play, gave the hosts a lead that they defended with every means possible. Reckless challenges and blatant time-wasting tactics were employed and, with the referee struggling to maintain control of the game, it descended into some disgraceful behaviour that saw the Lodge reduced to nine men by virtue of two sendings-off. There should have been a third but a chest-high tackle went unpunished because the referee and his assistants were unable to identify the culprit!

A good impression of the unsavoury scenes towards the end of the game could be gained from the image of the second player to be sent off deliberately knocking the red card out of the referee’s raised hand and then verbally abusing the assistant referee as he reluctantly left the field.

Throughout all of this, the Blues pressed for an equaliser but were unable to find the necessary quality in the final third of the pitch. Two ‘goals’ were disallowed for offside and balls were frequently delivered into the box from the many corners and free kicks, but they were all well-defended and came to nothing.

The early exchanges gave no hint of what was to follow and when Mark Summers ran onto Tyler Hatherly’s ball to chip over the keeper it appeared that the Blues would take control of the game. From the kick-off, however, they were caught napping and uncharacteristically conceded a very poor goal.

They bounced back immediately, though, and should really have been back in front before half-time. Mark Summers, Tyler Hatherly, Tommy Wade and Matt Thomson all had good chances to score but none were able to make them count. And despite a good start to the second half that saw Ricky Light fire just over the bar from 25 yards, Phil Lowen have a shot saved and Mark Summers a ‘goal’ disallowed, it was the hosts that grabbed what turned out to be the winner only eight minutes in.

A ball over the top of the Blues defence was hit first-time from a narrow angle and had the good fortune to find its way between Jayden Purdue’s feet and into the back of the net. The luck was not with the Blues and what followed only served to emphasise the fact.

Team:, Jayden Purdue, Ollie Sharman (Brett O’Connor 78’), Ed Taylor, Phil Lowen, Glenn Draper, Jay Lovell, Ricky Light, Matt Thomson (Dan Ferrigno 63’), Mark Summers, Tommy Wade (Ben Andreos 72’) and Tyler Hatherly.

Sub not used: Jack Bartlett & Adam Murad.

Match Report by Ray Greenall

Photos © 2016 Natalina Verta

Video © 2016 Nathan Hobley


Mark SummersGoal
Tommy Wade
Tyler HatherlyYellow Card
Glenn DraperYellow Card
Jay Lovell
Ollie Sharman
Edward Taylor
Ricky Light
Phillip Lowen
Matthew Thomson
Jayden Purdue


Daniel FerrignoSub
Ben AndreosYellow CardSub
Jack Bartlett
Adam Murad
Brett O’ConnorSub