Sun Sports vs Hertford Town

Score: 0 - 2

Match Report

Sun outing lifts the Blues
Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division
Saturday 18th February 2017
Sun Sports 0(0) Hertford Town 2(1)
(Lovell 2’, O’Connor 73’)

After losing their previous two games the Blues knew that it would be vital that they took all three points from a visit to one of the league’s form sides, Sun Sports. And, to their credit, they once again showed their strength of character with a battling performance that fully merited their victory.

It helped their cause that they were able to settle any nerves with an early goal that was the reward for another high tempo start. Ricky Light came close to getting an opening goal in the first minute but his fierce drive from the edge of the box was deflected wide of the goal. The goal was soon in coming, though, when, from Matt Thomson’s resulting corner, Jay Lovell rose high to head firmly into the back of the net.

Despite going a goal behind at such an early stage, the home side did not drop their heads. They hit back strongly, bringing a save from Jayden Purdue in the fifth minute and then putting the Blues under a sustained spell of pressure. They were unable to create any real opportunities, though, and those goal-scoring opportunities that did come, fell to the Blues. Ricky Light had another good effort deflected for a corner and this time it was Glenn Draper who got onto the end of the resulting kick, but unfortunately his header flew over the bar.

That was in the 20th minute and six minutes later it was Brett O’Connor who tried his luck with a header but, again, a Sun defender managed to get in a block.

By this stage the game was heating up and the referee found himself having to try and exert some control. The hosts’ frustration was beginning to show and it reached a critical point when, moments before half-time, Sun’s dangerous striker Kyle Johnson was seen to throw an elbow at a corner and was duly dismissed from the game.

Now reduced to ten men the hosts were clearly at a disadvantage and, although they stuck at their game, they were no longer able to put the Blues under any serious pressure. All the chances that followed all fell to the Blues and after Ricky Light and Phil Lowen had each twice gone close to scoring – Ricky hitting the base of the post with one superb effort – it was Brett O’Connor that finally put the seal on a fine win, with seventeen minutes remaining.

Tyler Hatherly attacked up the left flank and delivered an excellent cross into the box where Tommy Wade flicked on the the back post where Brett volleyed home off the underside of the bar.

All that remained was for Sam Ruff to pull out a fine save from the home custodian with a powerful 25-yarder and the Blues to ease their way to the final whistle.

Team:, Jayden Purdue, Ollie Sharman, Ed Taylor, Matt Thomson, Glenn Draper, Jay Lovell, Brett O’Connor(Connor Scully 87’), Ricky Light, Mark Summers(Ben Andreos 83’), Tommy Wade(Phil Lowen 87’) and Tyler Hatherly.

Sub not used: Mark Twumasi.

Match Report by Ray Greenall

Video © 2017 Nathan Hobley


Tommy Wade
Glenn Draper
Jay LovellGoal
Ollie Sharman
Edward Taylor
Ricky Light
Phillip Lowen
Matthew ThomsonAssist
Jayden Purdue
Brett O’ConnorGoal
Connor Scully


Sam RuffSub
Daniel Ferrigno
Tyler HatherlySub
Ben AndreosSub
Mark Twumasi