Hertford Town vs Sun Sports

Score: 2 - 0

Match Report

Sun eclipsed by the Blues
Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division
Tuesday 14th March 2017
Hertford Town 2(2) Sun Sports 0(0)
(Lowen 11’, Cassidy-Sinclair 44’)

The Blues bounced back from the results of the previous week with an emphatic victory over a visiting Sun Sports side that was clearly fired up to try and avenge their home defeat to the Blues in February.

First-half goals from Phil Lowen and Ramone Cassidy-Sinclair – his first for the Club – secured a further three points for the Blues in their pursuit of the league leaders, London Colney.

Continuing on from a good but unfortunately fruitless performance at Cockfosters, the Blues started brightly and put their visitors on the defensive from the first whistle and inside the opening five minutes Phil Lowen had brought two good saves out of the Sun custodian. But he wasn’t to be denied for long because, in the 11th minute, he put the finishing touch to an outstanding goal. An exchange of passes up the left flank between Tyler Hatherly and Brett O’Connor resulted in the latter delivering a perfect cross into the box which was met by the head of Phil Lowen and placed unerringly into the top corner of the goal with the keeper rooted to the spot.

It was the start that the Blues were looking for and one that spurred them on to seek a second goal that their domination deserved. Tommy Wade almost found it, on the quarter-of-an-hour mark, when his near-post flick from Connor Scully’s corner, glanced off the far post. Further efforts from Ollie Sharman and Connor Scully might have borne fruit but the Blues were forced to wait until a minute before half-time before they were eventually rewarded.

Having switched wings, Brett O’Connor cut inside from the right flank and laid a superb path into the path of Phil Lowen who had ghosted into space on the right-hand side of the area. His low-driven cross from the dead-ball line was met at the near post by Ramone Cassidy Sinclair who tucked the ball neatly into the back of the net.

The second half might have seen the Blues push on for a handsome win but a committed Sun team were in no mood to ‘throw in the towel’ and, in determined fashion, they set out their stall to limit any further damage. The result was a scrappy 45 minutes in which the Blues were rarely threatened but equally unable to add to their advantage. Tyler Hatherly’s well-struck free kick was deflected narrowly over the bar in the 77th minute and Jayden Purdue was called into action for the first time in the game when he pushed away a deflected long-shot with nine minutes remaining.

Regrettably the visitors’ frustration at their defeat boiled over after the final whistle with the result that a pair of red cards were shown to two players; a Sun Sports player who had struck a Hertford player in the face and Glenn Draper who had only intervened in an attempt to prevent any further conflict.

The Blues will now travel to near-neighbours St. Margaretsbury on Saturday 18th March looking to gather a further three points before being without a fixture for the next ten days.

Team:, Jayden Purdue, Ollie Sharman, Ramone Cassidy-Sinclair(Jonah Evans 89’), Dan Ferrigno, Glenn Draper, Dan Palmer, Brett O’Connor, Phil Lowen, Connor Scully(Matt Thomson 74’), Tommy Wade, and Tyler Hatherly.

Sub not used: Jack Bartlett, Mason Todd & Ben Andreos.

Match Report by Ray Greenall

Video © 2017 Nathan Hobley


Tommy Wade
Daniel Ferrigno
Tyler Hatherly
Glenn Draper
Daniel Palmer
Ollie Sharman
Phillip LowenGoalAssist
Jayden Purdue
Brett O’ConnorAssist
Connor Scully
Ramone Cassidy-SinclairGoal


Mason Todd
Ben Andreos
Jack Bartlett
Jonah EvansSub
Matthew ThomsonSub