Sun Sports vs Hertford Town

Score: 3 - 3

Match Report

The club’s first ever match in the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division could hardly have been a more entertaining one as Paul Hobbs’ team came from behind three times to grab a point against Hertford Town.

Boosted by Saturday’s FA Cup win over Haringey Borough, Hertford got their noses in front on three occassions through their captain Tommy Wade (9 & 51 mins) and then Leigh Rose (58) but on each occassion Sun showed great resolve to level the match through Steve Noonan, James Armstrong and Ashley Lewis. There were chances at both ends in a fiesty final third of the match but a draw was just about a fair result.

In front of Kings Langley co-manager Paul Hughes, onlookers from London Colney and the father of Spurs midfielder Tom Carroll, Hobbs made four changes to the back five who kept a clean sheet against Ampthill. Mayson Teweksbury, a teenage goalkeeper recommended by Gary Phillips, made his debut for the holidaying Ross Hampton, Andrew Pollard came in for the injured Brima Johnson while Nathan Pooley was moved to left back and Gary Wallace restored to centre back for the dropped Dan Weeks and Scott Bonner respectively.

New signings Richard Pearce made his first appearance of the league season for the absent Simeon Fearon while Junior Bushira was pitched on the left flank.

Sun made the worst possible start when a needless free-kick given away by Lewis on the left was pumped into the box and not dealt with by Teweksbury. Wade, the imposing centre-half, was first to react to put the visitors in front.

But Sun’s response was instant and very impressive. A pin-point cross-field pass from Pooley found the marauding Craig Lynskey charging down the right and his first time cross picked out Noonan who slammed the ball home first time for his third of the season and the goal of the game.

With Lynskey to the fore, Sun played the rest of the half on the front foot and could have been in front at the break had Harry Ricketts not made a fine reaction save to deny Lewis after slick interplay between Bushira and Armstrong.

Half Time: Sun Postal Sports 1–1 Hertford Town

With Sam Ruff at the heartbeat of their midfield, Hertford started the second period the far brighter of the two sides and were back in front on 51 minutes when Wade seized on yet more sloppy defending from a set piece. But Sun never roll over under Hobbs and back they came yet again, levelling with a predatory finish from Armstrong for his third of the season. A deep free-kick from Pooley was headed back across goal by Lewis and the former Kings Langley striker scored from close range at the second attempt.

Yet the disorganised home defence made the cardinal sin of switching off from the restart and Hertford ploughed straight through the heart of the pitch to set Rose up for his third of the league season. Hobbs was furious at gifting the visitors another goal but his mood improved when Lewis bundled in the equaliser from a Pooley corner on 63 minutes.

Hertford probably had the best chance to win the match in the final half hour but Teweksbury did well to save low to his left to deny Charlie Smith.

In front of an assessor, referee Carl Whay threatened to lose control of proceedings towards the end and ending up taking the names of four players from each side. He would have had some sympathy from Hertford manager Paul Halsey, who is the brother of former Premier League official Mark Halsey, but Hobbs expressed his dissatisfaction with his performance at the end of pulsating evening at Belllmount Wood Avenue.

Half Time: Sun Postal Sports 3–3 Hertford Town

Match report by Sun Postal Sports


Kardan Campbell
Dajour BuffongeYellow Card
Tommy WadeGoalGoalYellow Card
Harry Ricketts
Charlie Smith
Bradley Fraser
Sam RuffYellow Card
Louis RoseYellow Card
Leigh RoseGoal
Adam Andreou
Jordon WatsonYellow Card


Tegana James (TJ)
Ricci Crace
Reece Hewitt
Mattie Crook
Ross Clemo