Hertford Town vs Wingate & Finchley

Score: 3 - 1

Match Report

The Blues entertained both Wingate & Finchley on Tuesday night and put them to the sword in spectacular fashion. The scoreline did not reflect the excellent performance from our boys in blue and in truth, the scoreline could have been greater.

Manager Marvin Samuel looked to cement his first choice line-up tonight by naming a team consisting of Russo, Buffonge, Wade, Frazer, Elliott, Campbell, Brown, Smith, Teniola, Anstead (C) and Summers. Charles, Tomkins, Stock & TJ took their chances from the bench. Lewis Donovan was rested due to the ankle injury picked up against Cheshunt FC and ‘keeper Harry Ricketts was also absent on holiday.

Mark Summers opened the scoring on 3 mins with a well placed finish following an excellent assist from Jason Brown but more was to follow. On 42 mins, Dajour Buffonge who has really shone in pre-season provided skipper Anthony Anstead with the easiest header he’ll ever score and completely unchallenged too. It was a pinpoint cross from the diminutive right-back and was roundly applauded by all at The Park.

2-0 at half-time but Anstead, Summers & Teniola all should have converted before the break to increase the margin. Stock, Charles, Tomkins & TJ all joined the fray for the 2nd half and continued the 1st half pressure on the young Wingate & Finchley defence marshalled by ex-Blue and fan’s favourite from last season, Yemi Atta. The pressure told on 70 mins when the lively and tricky TJ closed down a defender forcing a mistake and coolly bending a shot into the visiting ‘keeper’s top, left corner of the net.

Wingate & Finchley got on the scoresheet late on with a calm 1-on-1 finish past Russo in the Hertford goal despite protests from Blues defenders that the striker was offside.

A decent and jovial crowd watched on as The Blues continued their promising pre-season progress with yet another win.

For me the Man Of The Match award goes to the flawless performance by Bradley Frazer. Strong in the tackle in the centre of defence alongside Tommy Wade and didn’t miss a header all night. Ray Tomkins came a very close second with another committed display in midfield.

Full-time Hertford Town 3-1 Wingate & Finchley.

Next up will be Cuffley away on Saturday at 3pm.

Match report by Col Mason.

Click on any image below to browse through them at full size.

IMG_2655 IMG_2654 IMG_2653
IMG_2652 IMG_2651 IMG_2646
IMG_2645 IMG_2640 IMG_2639
IMG_2638 IMG_2636 IMG_2635
IMG_2634 IMG_2633 IMG_2632
IMG_2631 IMG_2629 IMG_2628
IMG_2627 IMG_2626 IMG_2624
IMG_2623 IMG_2622 IMG_2621
IMG_2619 IMG_2618 IMG_2616
IMG_2615 IMG_2612 IMG_2611
IMG_2610 IMG_2609 IMG_2605

Photos © 2013 Wendy Mason