Harpenden Town FC vs Hertford Town

Score: 2 - 5

Match Report

On Tuesday night, Hertford made the 30 minute trip to Harpenden Town in the Challenge Trophy. After the disappointment of Saturday’s 2-0 loss The Blues were looking to bounce back with a bang.

The game started brightly with The Blues (playing in red) pressing high up the pitch and almost got a reward within ten seconds of the kick off. Adam Lawton won the ball just inside the Harpenden penalty area but found his shot blocked by a defender and Ben Corbett was unable to convert the rebound as his effort went wide of the goal. The high pressure continued and Harpenden very rarely touched the ball unless it was to clear their lines. On 5 minutes, Charlie Smith curled a ball which eluded almost everybody and found its way into the far post, despite the keepers best efforts to keep it out. Corners and long throws were a new feature to our game in this match, and it proved to be a long throw that gifted us our second goal on 17 minutes. The Harpenden defence were unable to cope with Ben Corbett’s long throw and Kardan Campbell was there to volley it home. Seven minutes later, another Smith corner and another goal as Adam Lawton was there to score at the back post. On 37 minutes, there was an injury scare for Hertford’s Adam Lawton, which delayed play for 2 minutes while he was treated and removed from the pitch. He came back on and made an instant impact as he scored Hertford’s fourth of the night. His original shot was cleared off the line and the ball spun out to the left hand side of the penalty area. Chris Hall-Ramsey latched onto it and his delivery to the back post found Lawton who netted on 45 minutes.

Half Time: Harpenden Town 0-4 Hertford Town

The second half started as the first half ended with Hertford dominating proceedings and sure enough a fifth came for The Reds. The returning Dajour Buffonage gave the ball to Kardan Campbell, who confidently drove on and with a swing of his left foot, struck the ball sweetly from 25 yards and it flew into the keepers top right hand corner. After this Hertford seemed to take their foot off the gas as Harpenden pulled a goal back on 53 minutes. Not a lot happened in the next 25 minutes of the game in terms of chances, however Harry Sedgley replaced Dajour Buffonage while wearing a pair of fluorescent yellow boots, which only a player as good as him could pull off. On 85 minutes, Lawton was put through on the right wing, only to see his lob – which would have given him his hat-trick – go inches over the bar. Harpenden pulled a second goal back in the 90th minute but didn’t affect the overall outcome. Overall it was a good, satisfying performance.

Full Time: Harpenden Town 2-5 Hertford Town

Match report by Matt Crook

r1 r3 r4
r5 r6 r7
r9 r10 r11
r12 r13 r14
r15 r16 r17
r18 r19 r20
r21 r22 r23
r24 r25 r26
r27 r28 r29
r30 r31 r32
r33 r34 r35
r36 r37 r38
r39 r40 r41
r42 r44 r45

Photos © 2013 Matt Crook


Harry Ricketts
Kardan CampbellGoalGoal
Lewis Donovan
Dajour BuffongeAssist
Tommy Wade
Charlie SmithGoalAssistAssist
Bradley Fraser
Chris Hall-RamseyAssist
Tom Querry
Adam LawtonGoalGoal
Ben CorbettAssist


Tegana James (TJ)
Harry SedgleySub
Selcuk UlugSub
Tom DavisSub