Hertford Town vs St Margaretsbury

Score: 1 - 3

Match Report

TWO red cards were issued as a nine-man Hertford Town side slumped to a 3-1 home defeat against St Margaretsbury in a bad-tempered Spartan League premier division derby today (Saturday March 22).

Hertford took a 1-0 lead through Bradley Fraser but the match started to shift away from them when their defender George Lafarr allegedly head-butted Saints Max Mitchell on 32 minutes.

The red card was issued by ref James Keane after the incident prompted an unseemly set of tussles between both teams.

The two benches also argued with each other which included Saints substitute John Barker squaring up to Hertford boss Paul Halsey.

Hertford’s Sam Ruff was then sent off on 73 minutes for dissent after the visitors had scored their third goal.

There was a plethora of bookings with Mr Keane struggling to get any control at times.

Eariier, there was a scrappy opening before Saints went ahead in the ninth minute.

A poor corner was retrieved by Anthony Anstead who played it back into the box and the ball was flicked onto Fraser who fired home left-footed from six yards.

After Hertford’s Louis Rose was booked, Max Mitchell’s 17th minute free-kick was palmed away by Blues keeper Ini Amaegbe and seconds after, the ball was played back in and Michael Cooper’s header was palmed away by Amaegbe.

After Hertford went down to 10 on 32 minutes, Saints worked their way more into the game. 
On 39 minutes. Hertford’s Tommy Wade fouled Saints’ Ricky Light.

Wade was given a yellow and then a red by Mr Keane before the latter changed his mind after he realised that Wade had not been booked before.

From the free-kick, the ball was flicked on and Ollie Sharman headed home to make it 1-1.

Early second half action saw a Saints cross from the left find Light and he fired over the hosts bar over from 25 yards.

Saints went 2-1 up in the 54th minute.

A Hertford clearance went loose and Mark Summers spotted Amaegbe was off his line and chipped over him from 25 yards.

The hosts fell further behind in the 72nd minute.

A move down the right saw Summers pass from the by-line to Mitchell, who passed across for the unmarked substitute Lee Roberts to fire home.

Ruff was sent off in the immediate aftermath of the goal.

Saints had more pressure but could not score despite the two-man advantage they enjoyed.

At the other end, a shot from Hertford substitute Adam Lawton forced Saints keeper Lee Robinson to dive to his left to turn it away for a corner.

Match report courtesy of The Hertfordshire Mercury.

View Bradley Fraser’s goal on Youtube (below).

To keep up with future videos, subscribe to the Hertford Town FC Channel on Youtube.

st1 st2 st3
st4 st5 st6
st7 st8 st9
st10 st11 st12
st13 st14 st15
st16 st17 st18
st19 st20 st21
st22 st23 st24
st25 st27 st28
st29 st30 st31
st33 st34 st35
st36 st37 st38
st39 st40

Photos © 2014 Matt Crook


Kardan CampbellYellow Card
Tommy WadeYellow Card
Anthony AnsteadAssist
Charlie Smith
Bradley FraserGoal
Ini Amaegbe
Sam RuffRed Card
George LaffarRed Card
Louis RoseYellow Card
Leigh RoseYellow Card
Dave BastianYellow Card
Harry Sedgley
Adam LawtonSub
Jimmy MartinSub
Daniel Ferrigno
Jim McClellendSub